Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Classic Poem

Dennis Fritzinger posted this classic on the Warrior Poet Society list

Break the Mirror

In the morning
After taking cold shower
----------What a mistake----- -----
I look at the mirror.

There, a funny guy,
Grey hair, white beard, wrinkled skin,
----------What a pity-------- --
Poor, dirty, old man!
He is not me, absolutely not.

Land and life
Fishing in the ocean
Sleeping in the desert with stars
Building a shelter in mountains
Farming the ancient way
Singing with coyotes
Singing against nuclear war--
I'll never be tired of life.
Now I'm seventeen years old,
Very charming young man.

I sit down quietly in lotus position,
Meditating, meditating for nothing.
Suddenly a voice comes to me:

"To stay young,
To save the world,
Break the mirror."

Nanao Sakaki

No comments:

Post a Comment